Saturday 22 June 2013

Barg of the Week: Marmite Birds

Supposedly the deal with Marmite is that you either love it or hate it; there's no mediocrity as far as that spread is concerned.

It would seem that a set of rather unusual antiques I purchased at a charity shop have a similar impact on people:


I am personally a lover of these funky birds (which is pretty self-explanatory since I invested in them)


I'm not sure how old they are, but apparently they were donated by an antique dealer who was clearing out his house. My guess is 1970s, but I could be wrong.


There are two sets, one with blue birds and one with red birds. I'm really interested in east-asian culture, so these guys immediately appealed to me.


There're displayed in 3D frames, much like real taxidermy...although with super-fake, incredibly tacky plants. Is it wrong that I love those plastic flowers?


Close-up of the hand painted birds and Chinese writing on the frosted glass. The ribbon edging is a nice touch.


There are little doors on the back of the boxes, which open to reveal LIGHTBULBS. I kid you not.


There you have it.


Complete with a rather old skool plug. Maybe this would help to indicate the age of my birdies? Can any electrical genius help me out here?

Regardless, the plan is to touch up the paintwork, modernise the electrics and get these babies on the wall. For £5 (only £2.50 each, good grief), I couldn't go wrong.

The question is, do you love them or hate them?







No comments:

Post a Comment